This data set has been originally published in:
Remifentanil is an opioid analgesic drug with a rapid onset and rapid recovery time. It is used for sedation as well as combined with other medications for use in general anesthesia. It is given in adults via continuous IV infusion.
65 healthy adults have received remifentanil IV infusion at a constant diffusion rate between 1 and 8 µg.kg-1.min-1 for 4 to 20 minutes. The data set contains remifentanil admission characteristics (time and rate of infusion), dense measurements of remifentanil blood concentration during infusion and after (PK data), as well as dense electroencephalogram measurements (PD data) recording the depth of anesthesia. In addition, a list of covariates is available: age, gender, and lean body mass (LBM). Moreover, a variable TINFCAT classifies the patients in several categories with similar infusion time.
One can see on the following figure the remifentanil concentrations over time split in two groups (female and male). On each figure, the subjects with age lower than 50 are in blue while the ones with an age over 50 are in green.
On the following figure, one can see the electroencephalogram measurements with respect to time for all subjects.
Below is an extract of the data set file:
The columns have the following meaning:
- ID: the subject’s ID, column-type ID.
- TIME: the time of the record (administration or measurement) in minutes, column-type TIME.
- AMT: the amount of drug,column-type AMOUT.
- RATE: the rate of drug delivery, column-type INFUSTION RATE.
- DV: remifentanil concentration measurement or electroencephalogram measurement, column-type OBSERVATION.
- YTYPE: the type of measurement. There are two measurement types in this data set: the remifentanil concentration measurement (corresponding to the PK dynamics), and the electroencephalogram measurement (corresponding to the PD-part), column-type OBSERAVTION ID.
- MDV: Missing Data Variable, column-type MDV.
- AGE: Age of the subject in year, column-type CONTINUOUS COVARIATE.
- SEX: sex of the subject (F for female and M for male), column-type CATEGORICAL COVARIATE.
- LBM: lean body mass, column-type CONTINUOUS COVARIATE.
- TINFCAT: Categories of infusion time, column-type CATEGORICAL COVARIATE.
The data set and datxplore project file can be found in Datxplore demos.